酷兔英语

章节正文

 The tame bird was in a cage, the free bird was in the forest.



  驯养的鸟在笼里,自由的鸟在林中。



  They met when the time came, it was a decree of fate.



  时间到了,他们相会,这是命中注定的。



  The free bird cries, "O my love, let us fly to wood."



  自由的鸟说:"呵,我爱,让我们飞到林中去吧。"



  The cage bird whisper, "Come hither, let us both live in the cage."



  笼中的鸟低声说:"到这里来吧,让我俩都住在笼里。"



  Says the free bird, "Among bars, where is there room to spread one's wings?"



  自由的鸟说:"在栅栏中间,哪有展翅的余地呢?"



  "Alas," cries the cage bird, "I should not know where to sit perched in the sky."



  "可怜呵,"笼中的鸟说,"在天空中我不晓得到哪里去牺息。"



  The free bird cries, "My darling, sing the songs of the woodlands."



  自由的鸟叫唤说:"我的宝贝,唱起林野之歌吧。"



  The cage bird says, "Sit by my side, I'll teach you the speech of the learned."



  笼中的鸟说:"坐在我旁边吧,我要教你说学者的语言。"



  The forest bird cries, "No, ah no! songs can never be taught."



  自由的鸟叫唤说:"不,不!歌曲是不能传授的。"



  The cage bird says, "Alas for me, I know not the songs of the woodlands."



  笼中的鸟说:"可怜的我呵,我不会唱林野之歌。"



  Their love is intense with longing, but they never can fly wing to wing.



  他们的爱情因渴望而更加热烈,但是他们永不能比翼双飞。



  Through the bars of the cage they look, and vain is their wish to know each other.



  他们隔栏相望,而他们相知的愿望是虚空的。



  They flutter their wings in yearning, and sing, "Come closer, my love!"



  他们在依恋中振翼,唱说:"靠近些吧,我爱!"



  The free bird cries, "It cannot be, I fear the closed doors of the cage,"



  自由的鸟叫唤说:"这是做不到的,我怕这笼子的紧闭的门。"



  The cage bird whispers, "Alas, my wings are powerless and dead."



  笼里的鸟低声说:"我的翅翼是无力的,而且已经死去了。"



  7



  O mother, the young Prince is to pass by our door, --how can I attend to my work this morning?



  呵,母亲,年轻的王子要从我们门前走过,--今天早晨我哪有心思干活呢?



  Show me how to braid up my hair; tell me what garment to put on.



  教给我怎样挽发;告诉我应该穿哪件衣裳。



  Why do you look at me amazed, mother?



  你为什么惊讶地望着我呢,母亲?



  I know well he will not glance up once at my window; I know he will pass out of my sight in the twinkling of an eye; only the vanishing strain of the flute will come sobbing to me from afar.



  我深知他不会仰视我的窗户;我知道一刹那间他就要走出我的视线以外;只有那残电的笛声将从远处向我呜咽。



  But the young Prince will pass by our door, and I will put on my best for the moment.



  但是那年轻的王子将从我们门前走过,这时节我要穿上我最好的衣裳。



  O mother, the young Prince did pass by our door, and the morning sun flashed from his chariot.



  呵,母亲,年轻的王子已经从我们门前走过了,从他的车辇里射出朝日的金光。



  I swept aside the veil from my face, I tore the ruby chain from my neck and flung it in his path.



  我从脸上掠开面纱,我从颈上扯下红玉的颈环,扔在他走来的路上。



  Why do you look at me amazed, mother?



  你为什么惊讶地望着我呢,母亲?



  I know well he did not pick up my chain; I know it was crushed under his wheels leaving a red stain upon the dust, and no one knows what my gift was nor to whom.



  我深知他没有拾起我的颈环;我知道它在他的轮下碾碎了,在尘土上留下了红斑,



  But the young Prince did pass by our door, and I flung the jewel from my breast before his path.



  但是那年轻的王子曾经从我们门前走过,我也曾经把我胸前的珍宝丢在他走来的路上了。



  8



  When the lamp went out by my bed I woke up with the early birds.



  当我床前的灯熄灭了,我和晨鸟一同醒起。



  I sat at my open window with a fresh wreath on my loose hair.



  我在散发上戴上新鲜的花串,坐在洞开的窗前。



  The young traveller came along the road in the rosy mist of the morning.



  那年轻的行人在玫瑰色的朝霭中从大路上来了。



  A pearl chain was on his neck, and the sun's ray fell on his crown. He stopped before my door and asked me with an eager cry, "Where is she?"



  珠链在他的颈上,阳光在他的冠上。他停在我的门前,用切望的呼声问我:"她在哪里呢?"



  For very shame I could not say, "She is I, young traveller, she is I."



  因为深深害羞,我不好意思说出:"她就是我,年轻的行人,她就是我。"



  It was dusk and the lamp was not lit.



  黄昏来到,还未上灯。



  I was listlessly braiding my hair.



  我心绪不宁地编着头发。



  The young traveller came on his chariot in the glow of the setting sun.



  在落日的光辉中年轻的行人驾着车辇来了。



  His horses were foaming at the mouth, and there was dust on his gament.



  他的驾车的马,嘴里喷着白沫,他的衣袍上蒙着尘土。



  He alighted at my door and asked in a tired voice, "Where is she?"



  他在我的门前下车,用疲乏的声音问:"她在哪里呢?"



  For very shame I could not say, "She is I, weary traveller, she is I."



  因为深深害羞,我不好意思说出:"她就是我,愁倦的行人,她就是我。"



  It is an April night. The lamp is burning in my room.



  一个四月的夜晚。我的屋里点着灯。



  The breeze of the south comes gently. The noisy parrot sleeps in its cage.



  南风温柔地吹来。多言的鹦鹉在笼里睡着了。



  My bodice is the colour of the peacock's throat, and my mantle is green as young grass.



  我的衷衣和孔雀颈毛一样地华彩,我的披纱和嫩草一样地碧青。



  I sit upon the floor at the window watching the deserted street.



  我坐在窗前地上看望着冷落的街道。



  Through the dark night I keep humming, "She is I, despairing traveller, she is I."



  在沉黑的夜中我不住地低吟着,"她就是我,失望的行人,她就是我。"



  9



  When I go alone at night to my love-tryst, birds do not sing, the wind does not stir, the houses on both sides of the street stand silent.



  当我在夜里独赴幽会的时候,鸟儿不叫,风儿不吹,街道两旁的房屋沉默地站立着。



  It is my own anklets that grow loud at every step and I am ashamed.



  是我自己的脚镯越走越响使我羞怯。



  When I sit on my balcony and listen for his footsteps, leaves do not rustle on the trees, and the water is still in the river like the sword on the knees of a sentry fallen asleep.



  当我站在凉台上倾听他的足音,树叶不摇,河水静止像熟睡的哨兵膝上的刀剑。



  It is my own heart that beats wildly--I do not know how to quiet it.



  是我自己的心在狂跳--我不知道怎样使它宁静。



  When my love comes and sits by my side, when my body trembles and my eyelids droop, the night darkens, the wind blows out the lamp, and the clouds draw veils over the stars.



  当我爱来了,坐在我身旁,当我的身躯震颤,我的眼睫下垂,夜更深了,风吹灯灭,云片在繁星上曳过轻纱。



  It is the jewel at my own breast that shines and gives light. I do not know how to hide it.



  是我自己胸前的珍宝放出光明。我不知道怎样把它遮起。



  10



  Let your work be, bride. Listen, the guest has come.



  放下你的工作吧,我的新娘。听,客人来了。



  Do you hear, he is gently shaking the chain which fastens the door?



  你听见没有,他在轻轻地摇动那拴门的链子?



  See that your anklets make no loud noise, and that your step is not overhurried at meeting him.



  小心不要让你的脚镯响出声音,在迎接他的时候你的脚步不要太急。



  Let your work be, bride, the guest has come in the evening.



  放下你的工作吧,新娘,客人在晚上来了。



  No, it is not the ghostly wind, bride, do not be frightened.



  不,这不是一阵阴风,新娘,不要惊惶。



  It is the full moon on a night of April; shadows are pale in the courtyard; the sky overhead is bright.



  这是四月夜中的满月,院里的影子是暗淡的,头上的天空是明亮的。



  Draw your veil over your face if you must, carry the lamp to the door if you fear.



  把轻纱遮上脸,若是你觉得需要;提着灯到门前去,若是你害怕。



  No, it is not the ghostly wind, bride, do not be frightened.



  不,这不是一阵阴风,新娘,不要惊惶。



  Have no word with him if you are shy; stand aside by the door when you meet him.



  若是你害羞就不必和他说话,你迎接他的时候只须站在门边。



  If he asks you questions, and if you wish to, you can lower your eyes in silence.



  他若问你话,若是你愿意这样做,你就沉默地低眸。



  Do not let your bracelets jingle when, lamp in hand, you lead him in.



  不要让你的手镯作响,当你提着灯,带他进来的时候。



  Have no word with him if you are shy.



  不必同他说话,如果你害羞。



  Have you not finished your work yet, bride? Listen, the guest has come.



  你的工作还没有做完么,新娘?听,客人来了。



  Have you not lit the lamp in the cowshed?



  你还没有把牛栅里的灯点起来么?



  Have you not got ready the offering basket for the evening service?



  你还没有把晚祷的供筐准备好么?



  Have you not put the red lucky mark at the parting of your hair, and done your toilet for the night?



  你还没有在发缝中涂上鲜红的吉祥点,你还没有理过晚妆么?



  O bride, do you hear, the guest has come?



  呵,新娘,你没有听见,客人来了么?



  Let your work be!



  放下你的工作吧!
关键字:诗歌散文
生词表:
  • powerless [´pauələs] 移动到这儿单词发声 a.软弱的;无资源的 六级词汇
  • setting [´setiŋ] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.安装;排字;布景 四级词汇
  • parrot [´pærət] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.鹦鹉;应声虫 四级词汇
  • despairing [di´speəriŋ] 移动到这儿单词发声 a.感到绝望的 六级词汇
  • balcony [´bælkəni] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.阳台;(戏院的)楼厅 四级词汇
  • sentry [´sentri] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.哨兵 v.站岗,放哨 六级词汇
  • ghostly [´gəustli] 移动到这儿单词发声 a.鬼的;朦胧的 六级词汇
  • jingle [´dʒiŋgəl] 移动到这儿单词发声 v.(使)叮当响 四级词汇
  • parting [´pɑ:tiŋ] 移动到这儿单词发声 a.&n.分离(的) 四级词汇


文章标签:泰戈尔  

章节正文