- The student wrote a song.
- A song was written by the student.
The passive voice always consists of two parts: a form of the verb "to be" + past participle:
|Tense||Passive voice form|
|Present||it is cleaned|
|Past||it was cleaned|
|Future||it will be cleaned|
|Present perfect||it has been cleaned|
|Past perfect||it had been cleaned|
|Future perfect||it will have been cleaned|
- The professor was hit by three snowballs.
- A love letter was slipped under the door.
- The signs will be posted.
- Avoid calling attention to the performer of the action (known as the "institutional passive"):
- The fines will be collected on Monday.
在写作中使用主动或被动语态之间的选择是风格问题，而不是正确性。 但是，大多数手册都建议使用主动语态，他们认为这些语态更自然，更直接，更生动，更简洁。 被动语态被认为是冗长和弱小的（除非在上述情况下使用）。 检查以下示例。
- weak, passive: The skater was slammed into the wall by Maria.
- strong, active: Maria slammed the skater into the wall.
- weak, passive: The book was enjoyed by me because the events of her childhood were described so well by the author.
- strong, active: I enjoyed the book because the author described the events of her childhood so well.
- An active verb may or may not have a direct object, but the passive verb almost never does.
- "It is...That" construction (It is clear that... It is noted...)
- Use of the verbs To Be, Make, or Have
- Passive: Your exits should be made quickly.
- Active: Leave quickly.
- Endings that turn verbs into abstract nouns: -ion,-ing,-ment:
- Passive: When application of force is used, the lid will open.
- Active: Apply force to open the lid.