1. By the time Jane gets home, her aunt ______ for London to attend a meeting.
A. will leave B. leaves C. will have left D. left
2. To enjoy the scenery, Irene would rather spend long hours on the train ______ travel by air. A. as B. to C. than D. while
3. —— I'll tell Mary about her new job tomorrow. —— You ______ her last week. A. ought to tell B. would have told C. must tell D. should have told
4. The mayor of Beijing says that all construction
work for the Beijing Olympics ______ by 2006. A. has been completed B. has completed
C. will have been completed D. will have completed
5. The young dancers looked so charming
in their beautiful clothes that we took ______ pictures of them. A. many of B. masses of
C. the number of D. a large amount
6. Perhaps we need to clear away these books to make ___ for our new students.
A. place B. area C. space D. room
7. How 1 wish every family _____ a large house with a beautiful garden!
A. has B. had C. will have D. had had
8. Americans eat ______ vegetables per person today as they did in 1910.
A. more than twice B. as twice as many
C. twice as many as D. more than twice as many
9. —— Why haven't you bought any butter? —— I ______ to but I forgot about it. A. liked B. wished C. meant D. expected
10. In that case, there is nothing you can do ______ than wait.
A. more B. other C. better D. any
11. The lion is considered the king of the forest as it is a(n) ______ of courage and power. A. example B. sign C. mark D. symbol
12. —— Which would you rather have, tea or coffee? —— ______.
A. Sure, I would B. Yes, please. C. Yes, both D. Neither, thank you
13. ______ in the regulations that you should not tell other people the password of your e-mail account.
A. What is required B. What requires C. It is required D. It requires
14. You should understand the traffic
rule by now. You've had it ______ often enough. A. explaining B. to explain C. explain D. explained
15. —— My family usually goes skating for vacation. I like skating, but I want to try something different this year.
A. Let's go. B. Cheer up. C. Like what? D. Take care.
16. —You know, Bob is a little slow ______ understanding, so ... — So, I have to be patient ______ him.
A. in; with B. on; with C. in; to D. at; for
17. — If the traffic
hadn't been so heavy, I could have been back by 6 o'clock.
—What a pity! Tina ______ here to see you.
A. is B. was C. would be D. has been
18. The head office of the bank is in Beijing, but it has ______ all over the country. A. companies B. branches C. organizations D. businesses
19. —— Don't you think it necessary that he ______ to Miami but to New York?
—— I agree, but the problem is ______ he has refused to.
A. will not be sent; that B. not be sent; that
C. should not be sent; what D. should not send; what
20. —— I'd like to take a week's holiday. —— ______, we're too busy.
A. Don't worry B. Don't mention it
C. Forget it D. Pardon me
21. —— Excuse me. Is this the right way to the Summer Palace? — Sorry, I am not sure. But it ______ be.
A. might B. will C. must D. can
22. —— What do you want to do next? We have half an hour until the basketball game. —— ______. Whatever you want to do is fine with me.
A. It just depends B. It's up to yo