chilly
寒冷的,天气冷。也表示"红色辣椒"的意思。
1. Can I close the windows?It's getting a little chilly in here.
我把窗户关上怎么样,这里越来越冷。
2. It'll be chilly tonight.You should bring a jacket when you go out.
今晚降温,所以你出门的时候要带件夹克。
chill out
It means calm down",意思是冷静下来,别紧张,放松一下。
1. He's been working very hard the past couple of months so I think he just needs to go on holiday and chill out for a bit.
过去两个月他一直非常努力地工作,我觉得他应该出去度假放松一下。
2. I'm sick of studying at weekends. I just want to chill out.
我非常讨厌在周末工作,我只是想放松一下。
chill
放松点儿,别紧张。Relax
1. Chill!Don't worry so much about your job.
别太紧张,工作压力别太大。
chief
领袖或负责人,指某群体里级别最高的。The highest rank person in a group".If you can somebody "a chief", that means you really respect him.
1. Hey chief, where do you think we should go dancing tonight?
老大,你觉得我们今晚应该去哪里跳舞?
2. I don't know what to say the girls, you're the chief, why don't you go talk to them?
我不知道怎么跟这些女孩子们说话,你是头儿,你为什么不去跟她们谈谈?
cheer sb up
逗某人开心,让某人高兴,把情绪调动起来
1. After I failed my driving test I needed some cheering up so my friends took me out to a nightclub.
我驾照考试失败了,为了让我高兴起来,朋友们拉我出去玩。
2. I wanted to cheer my mother up when she was feeling sick,so I bought her a large bunch of flowers.
我妈妈生病了,为了让她高兴起来,我买给妈妈一大束花。
chasing the skirt
追求女孩子。
1. He never did well at university because he was always out drinking beer and chasing the skirt.
我的朋友大学学习不好,因为他只知道出去喝啤酒。
chap my hide
让人非常讨厌,让人讨厌到无处躲、无处藏的地步。
1. I know he doesn't do it on purpose, but he just chaps my hide.
我知道他不是故意要这么做,但是他真的让我非常厌恶。
2. The way she drives really chaps my hide.
她开车的方式真的是让我非常讨厌。
can't get over
无法忘记某件事,无法从某件事的阴影中走出来。
1. The French soccer fans can't get ove the World Cup2002。
法国的球迷很难从2002年世界杯当中失利的阴影中走出来
2. I just cannot get over Liz。
我真的是忘不了Liz。
Can I get a lift?
能让我搭你的车吗?如果说 "我搭你一段吧?"就可以这样说:I can give you a lift.
call the shots
发号施令的,操纵的,管事的。管理的人,负责人。
1. You must do what I tell you because I'm
calling the shots around here.
你必须听我的话,因为我是这里负责的人。
2. Who is
calling the shots for your team?
你们队谁负责?
call the shots
拿主意,做决定。Make the decisions。
1. What do you always get to call the shots? I want to make some decisions too.
为什么总是你在拿主意?我也想作决定.
2. Don't ask me when we get off work. I don't call the shots around here.
不要问我什么时候我们可以下班. 在这里我说话不算数.
call off
取消、停止某件事。
1. They called off the football match because of a severe thunderstorm.
因为暴雨太大了,他们把橄榄球赛取消了。
2. Please call off the meeting; I will be late getting back into town.
把会议取消了吧,我可能回去晚一点。
call dibs on sth
有权要求做某事。
1. I paid for the beer so I call dibs on the last bottle.
是我买的这些啤酒,因此我有权喝完最后一瓶酒。
2. I get carsick in the back seat, so I call dibs on the front seat.
我坐在后座上晕车,我希望坐到前座去。
dwell on
dwell on这个词组的本意表示"驻扎,停守"的意思, 但是在这里的意思是:"Stop thinking about..."
1. We shouldn't dwell on someone's past。
我们不该总抓住一个人的过去不放。
2. Hey,kenny,it's been five years since you lost the car。You shouldn't dwell on this frever。
肯尼, 那部车你都丢了五年了,你总不能永远想着它。
dump
甩掉,蹬掉。
1. He's been very
depressed the last few days as his girlfriend just dumped him.
这几天他非常郁闷,因为他的女友把他甩了。
2. He kept going out late to bars so finally his girlfriend got so fed up and dumped him. Now she's with somebody else.
他总是很晚去酒吧,于是最终他的女友受够了,把他甩了.现在他的女友已经跟别人在一起了。
dumb blonde
外表美丽但是头脑简单的美女,花瓶。It refers to a certain type of woman who has blonde hair, it portraits a kind of stupid woman.
1. Stop giving the wrong answers in class. They will think you're a dumb blonde.
不要在课堂上胡乱回答问题啦,大家会认为你是个金发傻妞.
2. There's nothing I love more than a dumb blonde with daddy's plastic.
我最喜欢的顾客就是这种没头脑的金发傻妞了
dumb
愚蠢、笨、傻
1. My brother is so dumb, he thinks New York is the capital of America.
我弟弟很傻,他认为纽约是美国的首都。
2. I'm not dumb, I know that bike is only worth 20 dollars. The front wheel is broken!
我不傻,我知道那辆自行车只值二十块钱.前轮都坏了。
duke it out
用拳头打架。
1. We had to duke it out for the last piece of cake.
当只剩下一块蛋糕的时候,我们只能打架了。
2. There is only one shower in our apartment. My brother and I had to duke it out to see who uses it first.
公寓里面只有一个淋浴喷头,所以我跟我的兄弟们没办法,我们只能够打一架来决定谁先洗澡了。
drunk
喝多了,喝醉了,烂醉如泥。Drunk 这个词也可以作为名词使用,意思是"酒鬼"。
1. He was so drunk last night that he forgot where he lived.
他昨晚喝得太多了,他醉得都忘记自己住在哪里了。
2. After drinking 10 bottles of beer, she was very drunk.
在喝了10瓶啤酒之后,她醉得很厉害。
3. Her father is a drunk.
她的父亲是一个酒鬼。
drop in
顺便拜访,通常是在没有受到邀请的情况下。
1. Drop in whenever you're in Haidian.I'd love to see you.
到了海淀区,随时来我家坐吧,见到你我会很高兴的。
2. My best friend lives in this neighbourhood.Let's drop in on her.
我的好友就住在这附近,我们就去她家玩吧。
drill
排练、演习。
1. We've gone through the drill a hundred times.
我们已经排演过这个演习有好几百遍了。
dreamy有魅力,迷人的,一般是女性用来形容男性。
1. The young Prince William is
dreamy, but I think he is a bit of a troublemaker.
年轻的威廉王子在很多女生的心目中很迷人,但是我觉得他总是闯祸,很麻烦。
2. The girls in my school think that the new Chinese teacher is
dreamy. Too bad he's married.
我们学校的女孩子都觉得这个新来的教中文的老师太棒了,太遗憾了,他已经结婚了。
draw
Take out. 拔出,抽出。
1. You'd better draw your gun before he shoots you.
在他射杀你以前,你最好先把枪拔出来.
2. He drew his sword to get ready for battle.
他拔出了宝剑,准备战斗.
doze off
眯瞪,睡着了。它和我们平常
最常用的sleep是有区别的,指你在不该睡着的时候,睡着了。
1. I was so tired yesterday that I dozed off in class.
我昨天实在是太累了,所以今天上课的时候就睡着了。
2. My grandfather always dozes off rigt after lunch.
我的爷爷总是吃过午饭以后就要去睡一会儿。
Don't be a baby!
baby在这个地方的引申含义不是指婴儿,而是指他们的特点就是"complain", 抱怨。don't be a baby!这里的意思是Don't complain.
1. Don't be a baby!Go talk to your boss。
你别跟我抱怨,直接去找老板谈吧。
done with
终于做完了,潜在意思是腻了,再也不想做了。
1. I'm done with parties. I end up spending too much money, so from now on I'll be staying at home and reading.
那些舞会总算是结束了。我花了这么多钱,从现在开始我没钱了,我只有呆在家读读书了。
2. We graduated last week, so now I'm done with school forever!
上周我们毕业了,以后再也不用去上学了!
do the honors
不胜荣幸,担当重任。有幸去做某事。
1. Why don't you do the honors and open the bottle of
champagne for us all?
你何不担当一下重任,为所有人开启这瓶香槟!
2. I'll do the honors and open the present.
我很荣幸地打开这个礼物。
do sth while we are still young
趁还没老,希望某事赶快完成。这是一个很形象的说法,表示快点,快点干完吧。
1. I wish they'd finish chess game while we're still young. They've been playing for three hours already.
我真希望他们那个棋赛赶快截结束。他们已经下了三个钟头。
2. They need to score while we're still young. It's been a boring game so far.
他们赶快得一分吧,这个比赛太没意思了。
dive
很便宜,不太体面,看起来破破烂烂的酒吧或饭馆。
1. This restaurant looks like a dive,but it has great food.
虽然这家饭馆看上去是破破烂烂,但是它提供的饭真的非常好吃。
2. College students usually like to hang out in dive bars because the drinks are cheap there.
大学生喜欢去一些便宜的酒吧去玩,因为那里面饮料都会比较便宜。
关键字:
俚语生词表: