动词可能处于三种情绪中的一种：指示性，命令性或虚拟性。 指示性情绪用于做出事实陈述。 命令式情绪发出请求或命令。 虚拟语气可以使用以“if”或“that”开头的条款表达疑问或愿望; 它还可以在以“that”开头的子句中表达请求，请求或提议。
- 目前指示: Jerry Seinfeld laughs on television.
- 过去指示: Jerry laughed on television.
- 未来指示: Jerry will laugh on television tomorrow.
- Notice how much sharper the picture appears.
- Call her tomorrow.
- Take a seat!
- He talks about grammar as if he were an expert. (Expresses doubt or an idea contrary to fact.)
- I wish that I were a fast runner. (Expresses a wish.)
- The professor requests that the paper be turned in on time. (Expresses a request.)
- The rules require that each contestant submit an entry form. (Expresses a demand.)
- I suggest that the heat be reduced. (Illustrates a proposal.)
Auxiliary verbs "could," "would," and "should" might also express the subjunctive mood, especially when one expresses a condition contrary to fact.
contrary to fact.">
|If the forecaster were correct, I would be prepared. ||If the forecaster could be correct, I would be prepared.|
|If the company were to fly her, she would interview. ||If the company would fly her, she would interview.|
|If Joe were to marry Ann, he would be happy.||If Joe should marry Ann, he would be happy.|